This exhibit demonstrates how an electromotor works. How a wire carrying current generates a magnetic field.
An electromotor is made up of electromagnets that switch their north and south poles around to change the magnetic field around them. The permanent magnet in the middle will keep moving to align itself to the changing magnetic field. As the permanent magnet keeps spinning, we use this movement to power our home appliances, from the refrigerator to the electrical oven.
- Set the knob to Pushbutton.
- Push the three buttons one after another to make the magnetic fields change.
- See what happens to the magnet.
- Then set the knob to hand wheel.
- Turn the hand wheel into one direction and see what happens.
- Turn the hand wheel into the other direction and see what happens.